What is healthy food
Diet affects the energy of the body and the proper functioning of the body. Eating a healthy, balanced diet that contains all nutrients is important for maintaining good health.
What are healthy foods?
A healthy diet is a balanced and varied food that contains all the essential nutrients that the body needs, such as proteins, carbohydrates, fats, and key vitamins and minerals. Healthy food includes the six food groups which are starches (carbohydrates), proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, and water that must be present daily in our food, namely:
strong> Foods that contain carbohydrates such as grains, rice and whole wheat contain more amounts of fiber, vitamins and minerals than hulled grains, whole wheat, brown rice, oats, bulgur and barley are examples of whole grains, and it is preferable to choose whole grains in the diet to benefit more.
One portion of carbohydrates can be estimated as follows:
- One slice of bread (40 grams).
- Half a cup of rice, pasta, noodles, bulgur, barley, quinoa, buckwheat, or semolina (75-120 grams).
- Half a cup of cooked porridge (120 g).
- 1/4 cup of muesli (a mixture of grains and fruits).
- 2/3 cup of breakfast cereal flakes (30 g)
- A quarter cup of flour (30 g).
And grains of all kinds provide the body with fibers that give a feeling of satiety, and have many benefits for the body, such as:
- It reduces the risk of developing some chronic diseases.
- Helps reduce cholesterol level in the blood.
- It reduces the risk of heart disease, obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- Helps you lose weight and manage it.
- Prevents constipation.
And fiber is a type of carbohydrate sometimes called bran, and it is a part of the plant that cannot be digested in the human digestive system, but it crosses the intestine with food and absorbs water, which facilitates the excretion process and protects from constipation.
This collection contains red meat and poultry of all kinds, fish, eggs, legumes, and these foods are rich in protein and amino acids needed by the body as an energy source, and contains a vitamin B such as niacin, thiamine, Alraipovlavi, 6, vitamin E, zinc and magnesium, and the red meat contains iron , can be Replace meat with legumes, such as beans, nuts, grains, or soy products.
One serving of protein can be defined as follows:
- 65 grams of cooked lean beef or lamb, half a cup of ground beef, or two small pieces.
- 80 grams of chicken or turkey meat.
- One cup of cooked, dry or canned legumes, such as beans, lentils, chickpeas or peas.
- 100 grams of cooked fish, or a small box of canned fish.
- Two large eggs (120 grams).
- 170 grams of tofu.
- 30 grams of nuts, or nut butters, such as peanut butter, almond butter, or tahini.
The importance of proteins lies in several things, such as:
- Proteins are the building blocks of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin and blood. Enzymes, hormones and vitamins are also synthesized from proteins.
- Proteins are rich in B group of vitamins, which play an important role in maintaining a healthy nervous system, and help form red blood cells and build tissues.
- They contain iron, which carries oxygen in the blood.
- Magnesium is used to build bone.
- Zinc is important in chemical reactions and helps the immune system function.
Vegetables and fruits
Vegetables and fruits are an important source of vitamins and minerals, as they are rich in fiber, potassium and antioxidants that help prevent chronic diseases. It is recommended to eat five portions of vegetables and fruits daily to supply the body with its needs.
One portion is estimated as follows:
- Half a cup of cooked vegetables.
- Half a cup of cooked, canned or dry legumes, such as lentils, beans or peas.
- A cup of vegetable salad.
- Half a cup of corn.
- Half a medium sweet potato or starchy vegetables like sweet potato.
- A medium grain of tomato.
- One medium-sized fruit, such as apples, bananas, oranges, and pears.
- Two small fruits such as apricots, peaches and kiwi.
- One cup of canned or sliced fruit without sugar.
- One cup of sugar-free fruit juice.
Vegetables and fruits have many benefits, including:
- Vegetables and legumes such as lentils, beans and artichokes contain fiber, which helps prevent heart disease.
- A healthy diet that contains vegetables such as black beans, cooked spinach and asparagus is rich in folic acid, which reduces the risk of having a child with malformations of the brain and spinal cord.
- Vegetables rich in potassium, such as sweet potatoes, tomatoes, beets, white beans, boiled leafy greens and white potatoes, help maintain a normal level of blood pressure.
- Fruits are an excellent source of vitamins, especially vitamin C , minerals and antioxidants that help prevent chronic and heart disease.
- You should diversify the types of vegetables and fruits in your meals, as you should eat vegetables and fruits of all colors, because each different type gives the body different nutrients.
Dairy products provide the body with calcium and protein, and it is preferable to choose low-fat or fat-free varieties, and it is recommended to eat three servings of dairy products daily.
One portion is estimated as follows:
- A cup (250 milliliters) of liquid or powdered milk.
- Half a cup (120 milliliters) of unsweetened condensed milk.
- 2 slices (40 grams) of hard cheese like cheddar.
- Half a cup of ricotta cheese.
- Three quarters of a cup or a small packet (200 grams) of yogurt.
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) calcium-fortified soy, rice, or almond milk.
Dairy products are very important in the diet for their many benefits, such as:
- Dairy products support bone health and protect against osteoporosis.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.
- Vitamin D, which is found in dairy products, helps maintain calcium and phosphorous levels in the body.
Which is the main source of calcium and vitamin D and includes milk and yogurt of all kinds. It is advised in this group to choose low-fat products to dispense with excess fat.
Unsaturated fats are essential in the diet, and there are two types of unsaturated fats:
- Monounsaturated fats found in olive oil, canola oil , avocado, cashews, and almonds.
- Polyunsaturated fats, such as omega-3 found in fatty fish and omega-6 in safflower, soybean oil and Brazil nuts.
- Unsaturated fats help prevent heart disease and lower the level of cholesterol in the blood when substituted for saturated fats in the diet.
- The recommended amount of unsaturated fats is one or two tablespoons for adults, and a smaller amount for children, using olive oil instead of butter or cream.
Also, healthy food should be prepared in healthy ways, such as grilling or boiling, away from the oxidized oil frying method, and it should be prepared from well-washed fresh materials.
Healthy food is usually rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals, low in salt, sugar, preservatives and color.
Healthy food plays a role in maintaining a healthy body and good levels of energy and psychology, in addition to preventing chronic diseases and cancers.
Different types of food must be eaten in quantities that suit the body’s need to obtain all the nutrients, because each different type of food provides the body with different elements.
Tips for a healthy diet
Healthy food is a balanced lifestyle and is not limited to eating a specific type of food, but rather a healthy lifestyle for life. Healthy food is smart food choices from every group of food so that it is varied and balanced, rich in all essential elements.
The following things can be followed in the diet:
- Eat a healthy amount of calories to suit a person’s daily activities.
- Eat different types of foods to ensure you get all the nutrients necessary for the body.
- Approximately a third of the meal should be carbohydrates such as bread, rice, pasta, grains and potatoes, and it is preferable to choose whole grains or brown rice for fiber.
- Eat a lot of vegetables and fruits.
- Eat fish twice a week, and choose one serving of omega-3 fatty fish.
From fatty fish:
- Reduce your intake of saturated fats and sugar.
- Reducing the amount of salt in food.
- Doing exercises.